The Philippines’ COVID-19 task force will look into the proposal to exempt locally stranded individuals from the travel restrictions as a result of the stricter coronavirus lockdown in Metro Manila and nearby provinces.
In a televised briefing, presidential spokesperson Harry Roque said the Inter-Agency Task Force for the Management of Emerging Infectious Diseases will tackle the request of Hatid Tulong Program lead convenor and Presidential Management Staff Assistant Secretary Joseph Encabo.
Encabo said the intention of the request was to speed up the processing of LSIs who have been waiting for trips that will take them to their home provinces.
“Kapag hindi natin aasikasuhin sa loob ng dalawang linggo ay talagang magkakaroon ng matagal na pag-aantay at mas magiging vulnerable at magiging psychologically disturbed ang ating mga LSIs,” the PMS official said during Tuesday’s Network Briefing News hosted by Presidential Communications Secretary Martin Andanar.
“Assuming na mai-grant kami, we are expected na mayroon kaming nakasalang na 500 plus LSIs na pauuwiin namin. Pero pag hindi kami maaprubahan, eh, talagang mag-aantay po ‘yung LSIs doon sa mga staging areas o temporary shelter areas natin.”
Encabo also assured that the future send-offs will be more organized after the program drew flak due to reports of overcrowding at the Rizal Memorial Sports Complex in Manila, which hosted thousands of LSIs last week.
Metro Manila, Bulacan, Rizal, Laguna, and Cavite will be under modified enhanced community quarantine until August 18. — BM, GMA News