advertisement
Filtered By: Just In
News

Collapsed portion of Skyway Stage 3 replaced -DPWH


The portion of the Metro Manila Skyway Stage 3 that collapsed due to a fire in February has already been replaced, the Department of Public Works and Highways (DPWH) reported.

In an emailed statement on Wednesday, the DPWH said the damage has already been addressed and construction work has since been fast-tracked.

"As of latest report, lower and upper coping beams for pier 3, 4, 5 were reconstructed, and deck slab for spans 5 and 6 were completed as well. These were the burned sections from the fire incident," said DPWH Secretary Mark Villar.

The portion of the skyway collapsed in February, due to a fire that broke out at a nearby warehouse in Pandacan, Manila.

The fire, which allegedly started from a stack file of plastic pallets placed at the open space under the project, brought damage of an estimated P15 million.

A portion of the Skyway Stage 3 collapses due to a fire. MDRRMO PIO
A portion of the Skyway Stage 3 collapsed due to a fire in February. MDRRMO PIO


According to Villar, the Skyway Stage 3 is currently at 88.72%, excluding Section 2A or the segment connecting Tomas Claudio to PUP Sta. Mesa, which has yet to begin civil works.

"We are intensifying our road right-of-way acquisition so we may soon begin construction at Section 2A. So far, we have acquired 231 out of the 350 lots that need to be acquired with permit to enter," he said.

Once completed, the DPWH said the 18.83-kilometer Skyway Stage 3 is expected to reduce travel time between Buendia to Balintawak to only 15 to 20 minutes from the current two hours.

It is expected to accommodate a daily average of 55,000 vehicles, linking the North Luzon Expressway and the South Luzon Expressway. -MDM, GMA News

LOADING CONTENT