Malacañang on Friday slammed critics of President Rodrigo Duterte amid speculation about the possible cause of the recent fish kill in Manila Bay, which is undergoing rehabilitation.
At a news conference in Baguio City, presidential spokesperson Harry Roque said the government is still investigating the incident, including the angle of sabotage.
“Hindi ko po alam kung mayroon ngang sabotahe, pinag-aaralan pa po iyan,” he said.
“Pero ang nakapagtataka nga, bakit ang tilapia, freshwater fish iyong nakarating sa Manila Bay. Parang imposible naman iyon dahil hindi po mabubuhay ang tilapia sa saltwater.”
Roque added: “Ingat-ingat lang po tayo sa panahon ngayon desperado po ang kalaban ng gobyerno, lahat po ginagawa para siraan si Presidente Duterte.”
Earlier in the day, Environment Undersecretary Benny Antiporda said they are not discounting sabotage amid the ongoing rehabilitation project there.
Interviewed on Dobol B sa News TV, Antiporda said the site of the fish kill, Baseco Compound, was far from the Manila Bay area where crushed dolomite rocks are being poured on the shoreline to give it a "white sand" effect.
Aside from possible sabotage by anti-government groups, Antiporda said they are also looking into possible illegal fishing in the area.—AOL, GMA News