Filtered By: News
News

Bottle of rubbing alcohol left in car explodes in the heat


A parked car sustained considerable damage to its interior and a window after a bottle of isopropyl alcohol left sitting on the passenger seat exploded in the heat.

According to Emil Sumangil’s “24 Oras” report on Wednesday, Joyce Canlas said her boyfriend left the alcohol bottle in the passenger seat after parking outside a warehouse in Cainta.

When they returned, the front passenger window was broken and a large chunk was gouged out of the passenger seat. The car's ceiling was also torn.

“Malalaman mo na sa alcohol talaga yun kasi makikita mo ‘yung alcohol butas na e. Thankful naman po ako kasi kung sakali na nando’n ako parang hindi ko rin po ma-imagine kung ano ‘yung puwedeng mangyari sa akin,” Canlas said.

The Fire Laboratory Services of the Bureau of Fire Protection (BFP) confirmed that the alcohol bottle was the cause of the explosion.

“Alam natin ang mga alcohol, maaaring ito ay isopropyl or ethyl alcohol, sila ay highly flammable. Ibig sabihin po, sila ay mabilis pagmulan ng sunog,” forensic chemist Manolito Ybanez said.

The BFP reminded the public that it is dangerous to leave bottles of alcohol, disinfectant, and hand sanitizers—especially if they have already been opened and used—inside cars, where it can get very hot.

“Isa itong mga chemical or mga substances na ito na may mabababa silang flash point,” Ybanez said.

“Ibig sabihin, mabilis silang naglalabas ng mga fumes o mga vapor na maaaring magpataas no’ng pressure sa loob ng isang container at kapag tumaas nang tumaas ‘yung temperatura sa paligid, maaari itong magdulot ng pagsabog,” he added.

The Food and Drug Administration has likewise reminded the public that alcohol is flammable, and that alcohol products such as hand sanitizers must be properly stored.  — Julia Mari Ornedo/BM, GMA News