The Department of Social Welfare and Development has received an additional P600 million for its quick response fund (QRF) in the aftermath of two destructive typhoons, an official said Friday.
Social Welfare Undersecretary Rene Glen Paje said the budget department has replenished the DSWD's QRF, adding that the agency is ready to help Filipinos affected by typhoons Rolly and Ulysses.
At the Laging Handa briefing, Paje disclosed that the DSWD has enough for disaster response with its P1.4 billion in standby funds, most of which, or P888 million, is on standby at the central and field offices.
DSWD Secretary Rolando Bautista said earlier this week that the department had P226.1 million in standby funds being used as QRF.
On the other hand, Paje said there are more than 278,000 food packs pre-positioned in typhoon-hit areas.
He reported that the DSWD has given thousands of food packs to several areas including Legazpi, Camarines Norte, Marikina, San Mateo, Rizal, Quezon City, and Urdaneta in Pangasinan.
Also, the department has released an initial P3.9 million to augment local government units' relief efforts, he said.
Bicol residents had hardly recovered from the effects of Super Typhoon Rolly when Typhoon Ulysses battered the region, as well as other parts of Luzon including Bulacan, Rizal, and Metro Manila, destroying or flooding homes and displacing thousands.
Thirty-nine people have died, data from the military showed Friday morning. But presidential spokesperson Harry Roque said the fatality count that local governments have "verified" stood at 14. At least 22 people are missing. —LBG, GMA News