For former Speaker Alan Peter Cayetano, the alleged franchise violations of ABS-CBN should first be addressed before the House of Representatives reopened its deliberations on the network franchise application.
In an interview with reporters on Thursday, Cayetano said that there were "real issues" related to the ABS-CBN franchise bid that could not simply be swept under the rug.
"Ang take ko lang, simple, basta't seryoso lang. As long as we take seriously yung pagkawala ng franchise of a major network in our country, and as long as the network takes seriously, na may violations a na-commit and seriously ina-address nila, then i-discuss ulit," he said.
It was under Cayetano's speakership that the House Committee on Legislative Franchises rejected the franchise application of ABS-CBN in July 2020.
Senate President Vicente Sotto III, however, sought to revive the discussion on the network's franchise after he filed earlier this week a Senate bill seeking for the renewal of the said franchise.
Following Sotto's move, Deputy Speaker Vilma Santos-Recto said she would file next week a fresh counterpart measure in the House.
But instead of refiling the measure, Deputy Speaker Lito Atienza said the "shorter route" reopen the ABS-CBN franchise deliberations in the House is to move for the reconsideration of the House franchise panel's decision back in July.
Cayetano said he would leave it up to the new House leadership to decide whether the House panel's decision will be reconsidered.
"Ang importante yung substantive issues, yung mga issues na lumabas sa hearing, either dineny o tinanggap ng ABS-CBN, ano yung mga reporma at mga pagbabago na gagawin nila para hindi ito maulit," he said. -NB, GMA News