Senator Panfilo Lacson on Monday lamented that there seems to be no one in charge of the Philippines' response on the COVID-19 pandemic.
In a tweet, Lacson bewailed the continued rise in COVID-19 cases in the country, which at one point last week reached more than 15,000.
The coronavirus has gone berserk. While it is on ‘at-will’ mode, we are like, on autopilot. We can’t feel someone is in charge. Sobrang malas!— PING LACSON (@iampinglacson) April 4, 2021
"The coronavirus has gone berserk. While it is on ‘at-will’ mode, we are like, on autopilot. We can’t feel someone is in charge. Sobrang malas! (How unlucky!)" he said.
The Philippines on Sunday logged 11,028 new COVID-19 cases with 41,205 recoveries, bringing the total number of active cases to 135,526.
The continuous rise in COVID-19 cases prompted the government to extend for at least another week the enhanced community quarantine in Metro Manila and the surrounding provinces of Bulacan, Rizal, Cavite, and Laguna starting April 5.
A netizen replied to Lacson's tweet and asked if the Senate could do something about the government's response to the pandemic.
In response, Lacson said he does not know what else can be done to address the problem.
"We have repeatedly urged the President to change the crew, or at least the captain, even passed (sic) a resolution in this regard; exposed shenanigans in many investigations in almost every aspect of the handling of the pandemic; passed urgent legislations and I don’t know what else," he said.
Last year, 14 senators, including Lacson, filed Senate Resolution 362 asking for the immediate resignation of Health Secretary Francisco Duque III "for his failure of leadership, negligence, lack of foresight, and inefficiency in the performance of his mandate" amid the COVID-19 pandemic.
The measure remains pending in the committee level.
Duque, however, said he would continue to serve the country in his best capacity despite the call for him to resign.—AOL, GMA News