Candidates for Eleksyon 2022 will be allowed to have only one companion when filing their certificates of candidacy (COC), Commission on Elections (Comelec) spokesperson James Jimenez said on Monday.
"Very strict tayo sa filing ng COC. Lilimitahan natin ang puwedeng sumama sa loob ng filing mismo...Kandidato lang at isang kasama ang puwedeng pumasok doon sa mismong filing area," Jimenez said in an interview on GMA's Unang Balita.
(We are very strict about the filing of COC. We will limit the number of people allowed inside the filing area. Only the candidate and one companion will be allowed at the filing area.)
The filing of COCs for national and local positions has been set for October 1 to 8.
He added that only those related to the filing will be in the area.
"'Yung venue ngayon [ng filing ng COC], walang ibang tao doon kundi 'yung sa filing lang. Wala tayong crowd na ine-expect," Jimenez said.
(The venue [for the filing of COC] will have no other people except those involved in the filing. We are not expecting any crowd.)
"Sa labas of course ng facility natin baka magkaroon ng rallies, pero may mga kasamahan naman tayong PNP [Philippine National Police] at MMDA [Metropolitan Manila Development Authority] na magme-maintain ng order," the Comelec spokesperson said.
(Outside our facility, there might be rallies but we have the PNP and MMDA who will maintain order.)
The Comelec previously announced that candidates for President, Vice President, senator, and party-list representative have to present a negative RT-PCR or antigen COVID-19 test taken 24 hours prior to their filing of COC from October 1 to 8.
As for the Eleksyon 2022 campaign, Jimenez said the poll body will allow face-to-face campaigning but with some restrictions to prevent the further spread of COVID-19.
"Papayagan po natin ang face to face pero very severely restricted po. Limitado 'yung dami ng taong puwedeng mangampanya, limitado 'yung puwede nilang kausapin at puwede nilang ma-interact. Medyo mahihirapan 'yung mga pulitiko natin," he said.
(We will allow face to face [campaigning] but very severely restricted. We will set limits on the number of people who can campaign, as well as the number of people the candidates can talk to or interact with. Politicians will have a hard time.)
A total of 61 million Filipinos have registered so far as voters, Corinne Catibayan reported on Unang Balita on Monday.
Voter registration in areas under modified enhanced community quarantine resumed on Monday, September 6. Their applications will be received from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m.
Jimenez said they are expecting around 250,000 more new voters to sign up within the month.
The deadline for voter registration is on September 30.
Jimenez reminded those registering to fill up a form online, then bring this along with their valid ID and a photocopy of the valid ID to the Comelec office near them.
The no face mask, no face shield, no entry policy is in effect at Comelec offices, and all those entering will have to have their body temperatures checked.
Voters whose records were deactivated but have biometrics previously captured at the Comelec may apply for reactivation online; otherwise, they have to go in person to the poll office, Jimenez said. —KG, GMA News