advertisement
Filtered By: News
News

1 killed in Benguet landslide; Kennon Road closed


(Updated 4:18 p.m.) One person was killed in a landslide blamed on Typhoon Labuyo (Utor) in Benguet province, the Office of Civil Defense in Cordillera said Monday.

OCD Cordillera director Andrew Alex Uy also said bad weather conditions forced the closure of Kennon Road, which many motorists take when heading to Baguio City.

"(May) lalaki naglilinis ng kanal at tinamaan ng landslide," Uy said in an interview on dzBB radio.

Citing initial information reaching the OCD, Uy identified the fatality as Jomar Salicong, 22.

In a text message to reporters, Supt. Davy Vicente Lim-mong, spokesman of the Cordillera regional police, said the incident happened around 8:30 am at Km 14, Kabuyao Poblacion, Tuba, Benguet. Salicong was rescued by his companions and brought to the hospital but died while being treated.

A separate report on dzBB said a second landslide occurred in Benguet but there was no initial report of casualties.

Uy said Kennon Road was closed to traffic due to powerful winds. "Open ang Marcos Highway (pero ang) abiso namin kung maaari huwag muna mag-travel," he said.

He also said at least 71 families or 841 people in Cordillera were evacuated. He added some parts of Baguio City are without electricity, with business establishments using generators.

Missing fishermen

Meanwhile, the National Disaster Risk Reduction and Management Council's (NDRRMC) noon update said 42 of 51 fishermen earlier listed as missing in Catanduanes had returned home safely.

However, this left nine still missing, even as 14 were still missing in Camarines Norte, the NDRRMC added.

In Pangasinan, at least 25 fishermen, on board three boats, have been reported missing since last week.
 
Senior Insp. Ryan Manongdo, spokesman of the Pangasinan provincial police, said the nine crew of boat Bon-Bon and 10 crew of boat Super Boy left Brgy. Cato in Infanta on August 5 and 8 respectively.
 
He said there was still no sign of Typhoon Labuyo (Utor) when the fishermen went to the sea. The 19 fishermen, however, have yet to return as of this date.
 
Also, six fishermen from Bolinao have been reported missing.

As of 8 a.m. Monday, the NDRRMC said Labuyo affected 244 families or 1,003 people in Central Luzon and Bicol.

As of 8 a.m. Monday, 8,927 people were stranded, along with 34 vessels, 669 rolling cargos and 10 motor bancas, the NDRRMC said.

A blackout was also reported in Aurora, where Labuyo made landfall.

PAGASA had said Typhoon Labuyo is expected to exit the Philippine area of responsibility early Tuesday.

The Canadian government noted cyclones can "result in significant loss of life and extensive damage to infrastructure, and can hamper the provision of essential services." — with Amita Legaspi/KBK/RSJ, GMA News
LOADING CONTENT