Filtered By: News
News

Suspect in Baguio massacre surrenders, denies involvement  


A half-brother of a policeman who was linked to the grisly massacre of three children and two adults in Baguio City earlier this week surfaced before dawn Wednesday.

But Manila Vice Mayor Isko Moreno said the suspect, Philip Tolentino Avino, denied involvement in the killing.

In a post on his Facebook account, which was still live as of 8:30 a.m., Moreno said Avino surrendered to him in Cubao in Quezon City at about midnight Tuesday.

He said Avino's half-brother, PO3 Jeffrey Sta. Ana of the Quezon City police, arranged for the surrender with Manila Brgy. 584 Chairwoman Chit Tolentino, the suspect's aunt.

Sta. Ana also made arrangements with Manila Councilor DJ Bagatsing, who in turn coordinated with the vice mayor.

Moreno said Avino insisted he was innocent, adding "due process" must be observed.

He said he has turned over Avino to the Manila City Hall police detachment and coordinated his turnover to the Baguio City police, which is investigating the massacre where the victims were brutally stabbed. — Joel Locisn /LBG, GMA News
LOADING CONTENT