advertisement
Filtered By: News
News

5 Bohol quake survivors may dine with Pope Francis


At least five survivors of last year's magnitude-7.2 quake that devastated Bohol province may be among the lucky ones who will get to dine with Pope Francis when he visits the Philippines in 2015.
 
Tagbilaran (Bohol) Bishop Leonardo Medroso indicated about five of the survivors would dine with the pope, the Union of Catholic Asian News reported Monday.
 
"We will be sending some of my people there who were victims of the quake, five of them. They will dine with the pope," Medroso said.
 
Pope Francis is due to visit the Philippines on Jan. 15 to 19. He is also expected to visit areas devastated by super Typhoon Yolanda (Haiyan), which left more than 6,000 dead. 
 
In October 2013, a magnitude-7.2 quake devastated Bohol, with Medroso saying 33 churches in his diocese were ruined.
 
Residents in Bohol set up "alternative churches" using tents so Masses can be held there.
 
The UCAN report said Medroso hopes Pope Francis will visit Bohol "even for just one or two hours to counsel our people."
 
Earlier, Palo, Leyte Archbishop John Du said the Pope may dine with 30 typhoon and earthquake victims when the he visits Tacloban City on January 17. —Joel Locsin/KG, GMA News
 
LOADING CONTENT