Filtered By: News
News

MGB did not declare 'ground zero' as landslide prone —Naga mayor


The site of last week's deadly landslide in Naga City, Cebu, was never described as landslide prone by experts even following an inspection, Mayor Kristine Vanessa Chiong said Monday.

Interviewed on Dobol B sa News TV, Chiong said personnel from Mines and Geosciences Bureau (MGB) Region 7 inspected the area — a quarrying site — upon her request after "cracks" were reported at a tenement.

"They also issued a clearance na the company can proceed with quarry activities because okay lang 'yung area," Chiong said.

"'Yung landslide area, the major area, it was never mentioned na landslide prone."

Chiong was reacting to criticism accusing the local government unit of being "reactionary" following the landslide incident that left over 40 people dead.

She said last week's landslide at Sitio Sindulan in Barangay Tinaan was the first in the area.

"In the history of Naga, 'yung area in Sindulan, 'yung ground zero, wala namang landslide," Chiong said, adding quarrying operations in the area have been ongoing for decades.

Following the landslide, Environment Secretary Roy Cimatu fired top officials of the MGB Region 7 and ordered a  temporary stop on all quarrying activities in at least eight regions.

As of Sunday night, death toll in the incident was at 43. —KBK, GMA News