The Department of Foreign Affairs (DFA) welcomes the release of seven Filipino seafarers who were kidnapped in Nigeria last month.
In a press statement, DFA said confirmation of the news was conveyed from the Philippine Embassy in Abuja through a report submitted to Foreign Affairs Secretary Teodoro L. Locsin Jr.
"The seven were among the 12 crew members of the Swiss-owned MV Glarus who were taken by armed men who boarded their vessel on 22 September," DFA stated.
"Ambassador to Nigeria Shirley Ho-Vicario said all 12 crew members were released on Sunday, 28 October. She said the Filipino seafarers are now in Zurich, Switzerland, from where they will be flown to Manila."
The crew members were reported to have been taken by gunmen as their vessel was on its way to Port Harcourt from Lagos. — BAP, GMA News