Philippine Consulate in talks with Italian authorities over recruitment scamBy GMA Integrated News
The Philippine Consulate General in Milan has coordinated with Italian authorities to investigate the massive recruitment scam that victimized Filipino jobseekers.
Consul General Elmer Cato on Monday said he met with Prefect Renato Saccone, the highest-ranking Italian federal government representative in Milan, last month after his office received complaints about the scam.
Some 33 Filipinos lost around P39 million to two agencies based in Milan that promised them jobs in Italy, Cato said.
He said he requested Saccone’s assistance to verify the authenticity of the work permits gathered from the complainants and after discovering they were fraudulent, the Prefect created a task force to assist the victims in filing cases.
Over the weekend, the Department of Foreign Affairs (DFA) said the Philippine government will help the victims file lawsuits. Italian lawyers will also be provided to them.
Cato said the task force will likewise provide assistance.
Meanwhile, the Consul General called on other victims to come forward, saying more people had sought their help.
As of Monday, there are 51 victims who filed complaints related to the scam, up from last week’s 33.—Sundy Locus/LDF GMA Integrated News