ADVERTISEMENT
Filtered By: Pinoyabroad
Pinoy Abroad
OWWA asks public not to sensationalize sexploitation scandal
+
Make this your preferred source to get more updates from this publisher on Google.
The Overseas Workers Welfare Administration (OWWA) on Thursday appealed to the public not to sensationalize the alleged "sexploitation" of distressed overseas Filipino workers (OFWs) by Philippine officials abroad.
OWWA administrator Carmelita Dimzon said the continued speculation about the case has affected the morale of some OWWA employees, radio dzBB's Glen Juego reported.
Dimzon said an investigation is still being conducted into the allegations.
OWWA deputy administrator Josefino Torres reiterated the need for a victim to surface and file a formal complaint against those involved in the alleged scheme.
In the meantime, he appealed to the public not to sensationalize the case or prejudge those linked to it.
Sexploitation
Some Philippine officials had been accused of exploiting distressed OFWs and forcing them to be part of a sex ring in the Middle East.
One of the officers, Philippine assistant labor attache to Jordan Mario Antonio, had denied the allegations raised by Rep. Walden Bello earlier this week.
In a press briefing on Tuesday, Akbayan party-list Rep. Walden Bello, chairman of the House committee on overseas workers' affairs, said three Philippine embassy and labor officials in the Middle East have been accused of sexually abusing (OFWs) in exchange for repatriation.
These alleged cases of exploitation were uncovered when Bello's committee investigated the reported "sex-for-flight" activities where overseas Pinays were allegedly offered repatriation by officials in exchange for sex.
On Thursday, Department of Foreign Affairs (DFA) Secretary Albert Del Rosario said he was initially unaware of reports of prostitution rings allegedly operated by Philippine embassy staffers, despite purported knowledge of senior foreign officials that nefarious practices had been going on.
On Thursday, Department of Foreign Affairs (DFA) Secretary Albert Del Rosario said he was initially unaware of reports of prostitution rings allegedly operated by Philippine embassy staffers, despite purported knowledge of senior foreign officials that nefarious practices had been going on.
Del Rosario ordered eight more Philippine envoys to the Middle East to come home for consultations amid accusations of sex abuse committed by embassy staff and officers against distressed Filipina workers in the region.
In a press briefing on Thursday, Foreign Affairs spokesman Raul Hernandez said the participation of the envoys from Saudi Arabia, Qatar, Oman, United Arab Emirates, Bahrain, Egypt, Libya and Lebanon will enable the DFA to address thoroughly the issue on the alleged sex-related offenses.
Del Rosario earlier ordered Charge d’Affaires Nestor Padalhan (Syria), Ambassador Olivia Palala (Jordan) and Charge d’Affaires Raul Dado (Kuwait) to return to Manila to shed light on allegations by party-list Rep. Walden Bello that some of their staff are allegedly engaged in so-called “sex-for-fly” scheme.
Also asked to return to the home office are those labor officers and an embassy staff who have been named by Bello as the main perpetrators of sexual abuse on Filipino workers.
Hernandez said the DFA is finding ways to collectively encourage victims and witnesses to come forward and submit formal complaints and testimonies. - VVP, GMA News
Tags: owwa, sexploitation
More Videos
Most Popular