President Rodrigo Duterte on Sunday apologized to the Kuwaiti government for his "harsh language" during the height of the rift between the two countries over alleged abuses experienced by the Filipino workers in the Gulf State.
"I would say that I was harsh in my language... that was a result of an emotional outburst, but I'd like to apologize now. I'm sorry for the language that I was using but I'm very satisfied by the way how you responded to the problems of my country," Duterte said during his speech before Filipinos in South Korea.
The President also thanked Kuwait for "understanding" the demands of his administration.
"I think I'll go there, I'd like to thank the Kuwaiti government for understanding us and giving the faith in us and practically yield to all of my demands," Duterte said.
Last month, the two countries inked an agreement on the protection of rights of the Overseas Filipino Workers (OFWs) in Kuwait.
The Philippine government previously ordered a total deployment ban on Filipino workers, particularly domestic workers, to Kuwait shortly after the discovery of the body of Joanna Demafelis inside a freezer in an abandoned apartment unit.
Kuwait later protested the uploading of a video that showed diplomatic staff conducting a rescue of distressed OFWs. Despite an apology by the Department of Foreign Affairs, the Gulf state kicked out the Philippines' ambassador and recalled its envoy to Manila. — Anna Felicia Bajo/BM, GMA News