11 areas under Signal No. 3 as Paeng is about to make landfall over Batangas
Tropical Cyclone Wind Signal No. 3 was raised over 11 areas on Saturday afternoon as Severe Tropical Storm Paeng (international name: Nalgae) is expected to make landfall shortly in the vicinity of San Juan, Batangas, PAGASA said in its 2 p.m. bulletin.
TCWS No. 3 is in effect over the following areas:
- Metro Manila;
- the southern portion of Zambales (Olongapo City, Subic, Castillejos, San Antonio);
- the northern and central parts of Quezon (Pitogo, Lucena City, Pagbilao, Infanta, Tiaong, Unisan, Plaridel, San Antonio, Candelaria, Lucban, Sampaloc, Padre Burgos, Sariaya, City of Tayabas, Mauban, Dolores, General Nakar, Agdangan, Gumaca, Atimonan, Real, Macalelon, General Luna, Catanauan) including Pollilo Islands;
- the northwestern portion of Occidental Mindoro (Paluan, Abra de Ilog) including Lubang Islands; and
- the northern portion of Oriental Mindoro (San Teodoro, Puerto Galera, Baco, City of Calapan, Naujan).
TCWS No. 2 meanwhile was raised over:
- the southern portion of Aurora (San Luis, Baler, Dingalan, Maria Aurora);
- Nueva Ecija;
- the rest of Zambales;
- the western and northwestern portions of Camarines Sur (Siruma, Tinambac, Ocampo, Goa, Lagonoy, Milaor, Nabua, Buhi, Baao, Bato, Camaligan, Pili, Tigaon, Garchitorena, Iriga City, San Fernando, Magarao, Minalabac, Balatan, Naga City, Calabanga, Bombon, Bula, Canaman, Saglay, San Jose, Gainza, Sipocot, Del Gallego, Ragay, Lupi, Pasacao, Cabusao, Libmanan, Pamplona);
- the rest of Oriental Mindoro;
- the rest of Occidental Mindoro;
- Camarines Norte;
- the rest of Quezon;
- the northern and central portions of Albay (Tiwi, Malinao, Libon, City of Tabaco, Polangui, Oas, City of Ligao, Guinobatan, Pio Duran);
- Burias Island;
- the northwestern portion of Antique (Libertad, Pandan, Caluya Islands); and
- the western portion of Aklan (Buruanga, Malay, Nabas, Ibajay, Tangalan, Makato, Numancia, Lezo).
TCWS No. 1 has been raised over the following areas:
- Nueva Vizcaya;
- La Union;
- Mountain Province;
- Ilocos Sur;
- the rest of Aurora;
- the rest of Camarines Sur;
- the rest of Albay;
- the rest of Masbate including Ticao Island;
- the northern portion of Palawan (El Nido, Taytay, Dumaran, Araceli, Roxas, San Vicente) including Calamian Islands and Cuyo Islands;
- the northern and central portions of Eastern Samar (Quinapondan, Can-Avid, Lawaan, Maslog, Balangiga, City of Borongan, San Policarpo, Taft, Llorente, Maydolong, Dolores, Giporlos, Jipapad, Oras, Arteche, Balangkayan, Sulat, San Julian, General Macarthur, Hernani);
- Northern Samar;
- the northern and central portions of Cebu (Daanbantayan, Medellin, San Remigio, Tabogon, City of Bogo, Borbon, Tabuelan, Sogod, Catmon, Tuburan, Carmen, Danao City, Asturias, Balamban, Compostela, Liloan, Cebu City, Mandaue City, Consolacion, Toledo City, City of Talisay, City of Naga, Pinamungahan, Minglanilla, Aloguinsan, San Fernando, City of Carcar, Barili, Sibonga, Dumanjug, Argao, Alcantara, Moalboal, Ronda, Lapu-Lapu City, Cordova, Badian, Dalaguete) including Bantayan and Camotes Islands;
- the northern portion of Bohol (Talibon, Getafe, Buenavista, Inabanga, Clarin, Tubigon, Calape, Bien Unido, Loon);
- Negros Occidental;
- the northern and central portions of Negros Oriental (City of Guihulngan, Vallehermoso, Canlaon City, La Libertad, Jimalalud, Tayasan, Bais City, City of Bayawan, Manjuyod, Basay, Bindoy, Mabinay, Ayungon, City of Tanjay);
- the rest of Antique;
- the rest of Aklan;
- Capiz; and
As per the forecast track, Paeng will make landfall in the vicinity of San Juan, Batangas, before traversing the Cavite-Metro Manila-Bataan Peninsula area for the remainder of the day.
Paeng was estimated to be over the coastal waters of San Juan, Batangas (13.7°N, 121.5°E), moving west-northwestward at 15 km/h.
It has maximum sustained winds of 95 km/h near the center, gustiness of up to 130 km/h, and a central pressure of 985 hPa.
Strong to storm-force winds are extending outwards up to 560 km from the center.
Heavy to intense with at times, torrential rains are likely over Metro Manila, Calabarzon, Bicol Region, Marinduque, Romblon, Mindoro Provinces, and the northern portion of Palawan, including Calamian and Cuyo Islands on Saturday, PAGASA said.
Moderate to heavy with at times intense rains meanwhile are likely over mainland Cagayan Valley, Cordillera Administrative Region, Western Visayas, and Central Luzon.
Light to moderate with at times heavy rains on the other hand are possible over the rest of Luzon and Visayas.
Due to frictional effects, Paeng may weaken into a tropical storm while moving over the Luzon landmass. However, it may re-intensify into a severe tropical storm once it reaches the West Philippine Sea.
Paeng made landfall on Saturday over Virac, Catanduanes at 1:10 a.m., over Caramoan, Camarines Sur at 1:40 a.m., and over Buenavista, Quezon at 6 a.m.
Classes, dam, lahar advisory
Some provinces, cities and municipalities announced class cancellations for Saturday, October 29, 2022.
Magat Dam released water on Saturday via one spillway gate.
Due to the expected heavy to intense and at times torrential rain from Paeng, the Philippine Institute of Volcanology and Seismology (PHIVOLCS) issued a lahar advisory for Mayon Volcano.
PHIVOLCS warned that Paeng's rains could generate volcanic sediment flows or lahars, muddy streamflows, or muddy run-offs in rivers and drainage areas of Mayon.
Some flights for Saturday, October 29, were canceled, as were trips of the Philippine National Railways and the free rides for students on the Light Rail Transit-Line 2. —Sherylin Untalan/KG, GMA News