There would be no such thing as ring rust when reigning ONE heavyweight champion Brandon Vera defends his title against Mauro Cerilli of Italy.
This was Vera's promise despite a two-year layoff heading into the main event of "ONE: Conquest of Champions" on November 23 at the Mall of Asia Arena in Pasay.
Vera last saw action when he successfully defended his title against Hideki Sekine via first round knockout in December 2016.
"A human being doesn't rust. The nervousness is there, but being rusty? I don't think so," said Vera in a press conference held at the City of Dreams on Tuesday.
"If there's rust, I'm certain once Cerilli hits me it will all go away. I am just so ready for this."
Cerilli, meanwhile, also believed that Vera would show up in top shape on fight night.
"Every fighter lives for the sport. Even though Brandon left for two years to film a movie, I'm sure he is 100 percent ready for the bout," explained Cerilli.
Vera spent the better half of his time the past couple of years co-starring in a local movie.
He conceded his schedule had been hectic, but Vera made it a point to train in between all the work he had done outside the cage.
"Am I ready after spending two years away from the cage? Hell yes. I’ve prepared very hard for this bout. I’ve trained every day, in between traffic, shoots, and everything in the middle," told Vera.
"I am confident of victory. I’m still hungry and I want it more now. Mauro [Cerilli] is a worthy opponent, he’s been knocking guys out while I was away, and I am in no way underestimating him."
Cerilli, who won four of his past five bouts by knockout, however, made it clear that he came to the Philippines to spoil Vera's comeback party.
"I know Brandon [Vera] is the local hero, and I have all the respect for him. But I will do my best to win the title." — DVM, GMA News