Several injured in Quiapo blast
At least 11 people were injured when an explosion occurred along Quezon Boulevard in Manila late Friday evening, according to a report by Luisito Santos of Super Radyo's dzBB.
At least two among the injured suffered critical injuries, one was brought to the hospital for treatment.
As of posting time, there are no details yet on the identities of the victims.
The explosion occurred at Quezon Boulevard corner Soler Street Barangay 391 in Quiapo, Manila.
PNP Chief Roland "Bato" dela Rosa told reporters that, based on initial findings, a low explosive that is used in firecrackers was detonated in the area.
"There is the odor of gunpowder at the site of the explosion," he added.
"As to the motive, may nakapagsabi na meron daw ongoing gang war dito two days ago. At nagbanta yung isang grupo, yung aggrieved party yung nabugbog or what na psabugin niya ang lugar na ito. Gang war ang motive na tinitingnan," he said.
"Initially again, ang sabi meron daw nag motor tinapon doon apparently ang pipe bomb," he added.
Dela Rosa said, "The incident is not a terror attack at the usual IED na ginagamit ng terorista cellphone detonated. So far wala pang nakitang part ng cellphone."
"The depth of explosion napakababaw. Hindi nakapag-create ng crater ibig sabihin mahina na bomba... This is not a terror attack but a gang war," he added.
Earlier NCRPO Chief Oscar Albayalde said, "Isang 'pipe bomb', isang improvised explosive device ang posibleng ginamit sa pagsabog."
"Hindi terror attack ang nangyaring pagsabog at walang kaugnayan sa ASEAN Summit 2017," he added. — BAP, GMA News