Sandiganbayan affirms suspension order on Roderick Paulate
The Sandiganbayan has upheld its preventive suspension order against Quezon City Councilor Roderick Paulate while the trial of his case over the alleged hiring of 30 ghost employees proceeds.
In a resolution dated March 29, the Seventh Division denied the motion for reconsideration of Paulate to set aside his 90-day suspension for lack of merit.
The anti-graft court has ordered Paulate "to cease and desist from further performing and/or exercising the functions, duties and privilege of his position as member of the Sangguniang Panlungsod of Quezon City."
Paulate told the Sandiganbayan his suspension should have been done before his arraignment, when he can still challenge the validity of the charges against him.
Actor-politician Paulate said the Quezon City Council had already adjourned, therefore he can no longer influence potential witnesses or hide any evidence that could affect his case.
Paulate, who is running for vice mayor in the 2019 elections, also said the suspension order may become a tool for his opponents to hinder his candidacy.
The Sandiganbayan scored Paulate over his claim the anti-graft court is engaged in partisan politics, calling his statement "clearly malicious and unsubstantiated, and constitutes a blatant disrespect."
According to the court, the fact that Paulate entered a not guilty plea at his arraignment meant he recognizes the validity of the charges and was given the opportunity to assail them.
It added the issuance of suspension orders have no timing, noting the suspension served by the Office of the Ombudsman is distinct from his criminal case.
"The Court has no other option except to immediately impose it. There is no reason to delay its imposition or to defer it. Otherwise, it would give undue preference to accused Paulate to the prejudice of other public officials who were meted the same," the Sandiganbayan said.
Paulate was indicted for graft and falsification charges for allegedly hiring fictitious job contractors for his personal gain in 2010.
He was accused of ordering his chief of staff to prepare questionable Personal Data Sheets and falsified job orders of 30 contractual employees from July 1 to November 15, 2010.
Paulate also supposedly issued certifications stating that these personnel worked for 40 hours per week and authorized his liaison officer to collect their salaries in the sum of P1.1 million. —LBG, GMA News