The Inter-Agency Task Force (IATF) on Emerging Infectious Diseases denied Navotas Mayor Toby Tiangco's appeal for the reinstatement of the enhanced community quarantine (ECQ) in his city amid the continued rise of coronavirus cases in the area.
According to a 24 Oras report by Bernadette Reyes on Sunday, Navotas saw an increase in the number of people outside their homes after it was downgraded to a modified ECQ along with the rest of Metro Manila on Saturday.
“Based on our City Health records, pataas po ‘yung kaso ng COVID sa Navotas, number one. Number two, ang exact description ng mismong DOH noong nag-meeting kami no’ng May 9 is ‘accelerating’ ‘yung cases ng COVID-19 sa Navotas,” Tiangco said.
Aside from the confirmed cases, Navotas was still waiting for some 900 COVID-19 test results to be processed.
“Hindi naman dumadami ‘yung tagapagpatupad, lalo na ‘yung social distancing. Lahat ‘yan mas mahirap ipatupad kapag dadami ‘yung taong nasa labas,” Tiangco explained.
“Ako, natatakot ako na dumami ‘yung kaso na hindi na kayanin ng ating mga health workers saka hindi kayanin ng ating facility,” he added.
The local government was adding more isolation facilities to address the continued rise of cases.
Meanwhile, the city government was also working on addressing the needs of informal settlers who had not yet received aid.
“Ang natanggap lang namin na tulong ‘yung mga dumaraan na sasakyan dito… ‘Yung mga nanggagaling sa barangay, wala po e,” Joel Manzano said.
Navotas Representative John Rey Tiangco said they would bring aid to areas that had been left out.
“Malamang diyan hindi po sila nakita ng barangay na namimigay. Kasi pinupuntahan po ‘yun, lahat ng bahay… Usually palipat-lipat po sila e. Ngayon na alam nating hindi pa sila nabibigyan, papupuntahan po natin,” he explained. — Julia Mari Ornedo/DVM, GMA News