Filtered By: Topstories
News
PNoy leads search and rescue efforts in Masbate for Robredo, two pilots
(Update 9:42 A.M.) President Benigno Aquino III flew to Masbate province early Sunday to see for himself the progress of search operations for missing Interior and Local Governments Secretary Jesse Robredo. A portion of the right wing of the Piper Seneca plane he was riding was found Saturday night, according to Transportation and Communications Secretary Mar Roxas, disputing an earlier report of the NDRRMC which said that it was the plane's fuel tank. Others have pointed out that the fuel tanks are usually part of the wings. There was no other sign of the plane or its passengers as of Sunday morning.
"Sara Bahinting, the daughter of the pilot, confirmed the color of the plane (based on the wing debris)," Roxas told GMA News Online. The last three digits of the plane, 431, are visible on the debris. A photo of the plane is on Aviatour Air's web site. Aside from Robredo, the two others missing are veteran pilot and flight instructor Jessup Bahinting and his Nepali co-pilot Kshitiz Chand. Bahinting is also the chief executive officer of the Mactan-based aircraft rental company and flying school Aviatour Air, which owns the plane that crashed. According to Chand's Facebook page, he graduated from Aviatour Flight School in 2011 and identified himself as a commercial pilot. Search and rescue efforts

A portion of the right wing of Piper Seneca RP-C4431 plane Robredo boarded before the crash Saturday afternoon was recovered Saturday night. – Official Gazette FB page
Roxas tweeted at 6:38 a.m. Sunday that the C-130 plane carrying the officials had arrived in Masbate.
"Landing (in) Masbate on board C-130. PNoy to lead search-and-rescue efforts" he said.
Roxas said Aquino's entourage included Defense Secretary Voltaire Gazmin, Budget Secretary Florencio Abad, Philippine National Police chief Director General Nicanor Bartolome, and Armed Forces chief of staff Gen. Jessie Dellosa.
Rep. Joseph Emilio Abaya, the ruling Liberal Party's secretary general, was also on board the C-130, Roxas also said.
A helicopter of the Philippine Coast Guard (PCG) has joined the inter-agency search and rescue efforts coordinated by Roxas, Mayor Socrates Tuazon of Masbate City, and the Provincial Disaster Risk Reduction and Management Council. Underwater search and rescue efforts, which were suspended at 11:35 last night because of strong currents, resumed at 5:00 a.m., Tuazon said. Provincial Disaster Risk Reduction and Management Office head Darius Tuason said his men had assembled at the command post and prepared to "jump off." "Narito na sila ngayon, briefing lang, tapos anytime jump off na (Our men are here, and will get a briefing before jumping off)," he said in an interview on dzBB radio at 5 a.m. Bicol region Coast Guard head Commodore Joel Garcia said they expect the PCG helicopter and an additional patrol boat to arrive Sunday morning to join the search. Garcia added surface searches had been ongoing, though the resumption of dive operations will depend on the recommendation of professional divers in the area. "Mga 6:30 a.m. may Coast Guard helicopter na darating, at may patrol boat arriving from Cebu (We expect a Coast Guard chopper to arrive at 6:30 a.m. and a patrol boat is arriving from Cebu)," he said.
The National Disaster Risk Reduction and Management Council (NDRRMC) said in a report time-stamped 2:00 a.m. that search and rescue field assets of the PCG, Philippine Navy, Philippine National Police, and ten pumpboats mobilized by local government units in Masbate are already at the site.
Meanwhile, Malacañang said the prayer vigil for the safe rescue of Robredo will resume at 3:00 p.m. at a Catholic shrine in Greenhills, San Juan. A Mass is scheduled for 5:00 p.m. In Naga City, Camarines Sur Robredo's relatives and neighbors continued their vigil and prayers for the DILG chief, who served as long-time mayor of the city. — ELR/HS/YA, GMA News Tags: jesserobredo, masbate
More Videos
Most Popular