ADVERTISEMENT
Filtered By: Topstories
News
‘WIDER LATITUDE OF CHOICE’

Palace welcomes Miriam’s presidential bid


+
Add GMA on Google
Make this your preferred source to get more updates from this publisher on Google.

Malacañang on Tuesday night welcomed the announcement of Senator Miriam Defensor-Santiago that she would join the presidential race in the 2016 national elections.

“Senator Santiago's entry in the presidential race provides voters a wider latitude of choice as she has carved a public service record spanning more than two decades in all three branches of government,” Communications Secretary Herminio Coloma, Jr. said in a text message to reporters.

In a news conference following a book signing event, Santiago announced her intention to run for president next year.

The senator also revealed that she had already defeated the Stage Four lung cancer that kept her from attending sessions of the Senate for more than a year.

"Definitely, I will run because I've already gotten over my bout with cancer and there's nothing left to do," she said. —NB, GMA News