A Chinese national under investigation for possible novel coronavirus infection has died at San Lazaro Hospital, according to the hospital's director on Wednesday.
At a press briefing with Department of Health officials, San Lazaro Hospital director Dr. Edmundo Lopez said it was not confirmed if the 29-year-old male patient died of nCoV.
"Around 7:00 a.m. we have a person under investigation who expired," Lopez said. "Hindi pa confirmed for nCoV. He was admitted last Monday."
"The patient was seen with varying symptoms upon admission. Mayroon siyang mga cervical lesions, mga kulani, mayroon siyang lung findings na rin, basically payat ang pasiyente, then mayroon siyang anal wart," he added.
Lopez said the patient's cause of death was pneumonia. He added the patient also tested positive twice in HIV screening tests.
The specimen from the deceased Chinese national, who came from China's Yunnan province, is still being tested for possible nCoV infection, Lopez said.
Earlier in the day, GMA News Online tried to verify information circulating online regarding lockdown in San Lazaro Hospital after a doctor allegedly died while attending to a patient with novel coronavirus.
San Lazaro Hospital spokesperson Dr. Ferdinand de Guzman, in a text message, dismissed it as fake news but did not disclose any further information.
There are 23 persons under investigation in the country for possible novel coronavirus infection as of Wednesday, according to the DOH.
Four others were discharged but will still be monitored by health authorities, it added. —KBK, GMA News