Filtered By: Topstories
News

Duque on self-quarantine, undergoes test for COVID-19


Health Secretary Francisco Duque III on Thursday said he is on self-quarantine.

Although he has no signs of coronavirus disease 2019 (COVID-19), Duque said he has undergone test and is expecting results in two to three days.

Duque said he is setting up work-from-home arrangement to continue his work.

In a message to reporters, Health Undersecretary Maria Rosario Vergeire said Duque is asymptomatic but has been tested for possible COVID-19 infection because he is “asthmatic and hypertensive.”

As head of the Department of Health (DOH), Duque has been at the forefront of the government's efforts to fight the spread of COVID-19, which has so far infected 202 people in the Philippines, including 17 that had died. 

Earlier, the DOH confirmed that one of its directors has been tested positive for COVID-19.

"DOH assures its employees that their safety and health is a top priority. Offices have been disinfected and close contacts informed so that they can immediately undergo home quarantine and strict monitoring," it said.

To prevent the further spread of COVID-19, the national government has implemented a Luzon-wide enhanced community quarantine, barring non-essential travels of citizens and suspending public transport. --Joseph Morong, Dona Magsino, and Amita Legaspi/KBK, GMA News

LOADING CONTENT