The Inter-Agency Task Force on Emerging Infectious Diseases adopted the Department of Education's plan to open "face to face" classes starting August 24, Presidential Spokesperson Harry Roque said Saturday.
"Lahat po ng face-to-face classes will start only on August 24. Bagama't may ilang mga pribadong eskwelahan [na] mag sisimula po sila ng Hunyo, wala po face to face 'yun," Roque said on Dobol B sa News TV.
However, the presidential spokesperson added that authorities had yet to establish if the schedule would be implemented for both areas under the enhanced community quarantine (ECQ) and the general community quarantine (GCQ).
"[G]aya ng sinabi ko, wala nang pangkalahatang desisyon sa Metro Manila pero titignan nga natin 'yung datos kung saan mataas, kung saan mababa," Roque explained.
"Ang ina-assume natin talaga, mag GCQ na by August 24. Pero kung manatili ang ECQ ay siguro po may panibago ang DepEd diyan sa mga lugar na 'yan."
The Luzon-wide ECQ, which was extended twice, was expected to end on May 15.
House Ways and Means Committee Chair Joey Salceda, an economist, previously said that the Philippines was ready for the possible consequences from the ECQ lifting.
Despite this, the Metro Manila Council was eyeing another extension of the ECQ until June 15 as this could be necessary to prevent a "second wave" of COVID-19 cases. — DVM, GMA News