National Capital Region Police Office chief Police Major General Debold Sinas and other NCRPO officers will be "made to answer for" their culpability as determined by the investigation into Sinas' recent birthday celebration, the Philippine National Police (PNP) said Thursday.
Malacañang previously said that criminal charges will be filed against Sinas and those who attended his "mañanita" amid the enhanced community quarantine.
“I expect to receive a complete Investigation Report of the incident by tomorrow," PNP Chief Police General Archie Francisco Gamboa said in a statement.
According to the PNP, the Internal Affairs Service will take the lead in the investigation to "ensure impartiality" while the administrative cases will be transmitted to the Office of the President for approval.
"Per [the] initial assessment, there is probable cause for the filing of criminal and administrative charges in relation to quarantine health protocols. IAS personnel are now in NCRPO gathering affidavits as support documents to file these cases,” Gamboa added.
.As the investigation takes its course, Gamboa said, they will refrain from issuing further statements in deference to the proceedings.
"Allow the investigation to take its due course and respect our prerogative to exercise command management of the PNP," he added.
“The PNP’s role in our government’s fight against the COVID-19 crisis is critical [...] The incident, while unfortunate, is isolated and should not undermine the sacrifice of our own front liners," he said.
Sinas has apologized for the event, but refused to take a leave of absence amid the investigation. — Joahna Lei Casilao/BM, GMA News