Filtered By: Topstories
News

Palace sees no further easing of restrictions in Metro Manila after July 15


The national government has ruled out the possibility of easing more restrictions in Metro Manila after July 15.

In a televised briefing on Monday, presidential spokesperson Harry Roque said the latest available data on case doubling time and critical care capacity do not suggest further relaxation of movement restrictions.

“At this point, the data does not indicate na pupuwedeng magluwag po at least sa Metro Manila para lang po to manage expectations,” he said.

National Task Force (NTF) against COVID-19 chief implementer Secretary Carlito Galvez Jr. added Metro Manila mayors have proposed a "hybrid" community quarantine classification, which will entail stricter implementation of  health protocols but more economic activities are allowed.

“Magkakaroon po tayo ng tinatawag na ‘compromise’ na i-open po natin ang economy but the economic sector and even the private sector must take equal responsibility of [sic] containing the spread,” Galvez said in the same briefing.

Metro Manila has been under GCQ since June 1.

As of Sunday, the Department of Health recorded a total of 25,183 COVID-19 cases, including 921 deaths, in the National Capital Region. 

Earlier in the day, the total number of COVID-19 cases in the Philippines may breach the 80,000 mark by the end of July, according to an expert from the University of the Philippines Institute of Mathematics.

"Tatama talaga ng 70,000 and higit pa. Ang lower estimate natin ngayon nasa 80,000 na eh, sa end of July. 'Yung 70,000 talagang lalampasan na natin," UP professor Dr. Guido David said in an interview on Dobol B sa News TV.  — RSJ/LDF, GMA News

LOADING CONTENT