Filtered By: Topstories
News

DOH scouting for 10k 'substitute' health workers so exhausted frontliners could rest


Want to see the E22 local results for ? Click location.

The Department of Health on Thursday said it is eyeing the recruitment of around 10,000 health workers who would continue the unrelenting fight against the COVID-19 pandemic in the Philippines as many medical frontliners beg for a time out.

"We are in need of almost 10,000 health care workers and this means the call for time out really needs a substitution," Health Undersecretary Leopoldo Vega said during the launch of the COVID-19 Command Center in Makati.

"We will not end the game but rather, we will just have to find fresh or new recruits into the system so that efficiency of our health care workers will be there," he added.

Last week, Health Undersecretary Maria Rosario Vergeire said the DOH is looking at additional incentives for health care workers.

Metro Manila and nearby provinces have been placed under a modified enhanced community quarantine from August 4 to 18 after the medical community pleaded for a "time out" due to an unabated admission of COVID-19 patients in hospitals.

On Sunday, the Palace approved of hiring 10,000 medical professionals, and calling medical reservists to active duty in the country.

President Rodrigo Duterte also agreed with the recommendation that a P10,000 to P15,000 sickness benefit be provided to all healthcare workers infected with COVID-19.

As of August 5, the total number of COVID-19 cases in the Philippines jumped to 115,980, the second highest in Southeast Asia next to Indonesia which has 116,865.

The number of active cases in the country is at 47,587. On the other hand, 66,270 have recovered while 2,123 died.—AOL, GMA News

Find the latest news

Choose your candidates and print out your selection.

Find out your candidates' profile

Voter Demographics

Find out individual candidate platforms