The Philippines is not likely to reach a point when medical frontliners would be faced with the difficult situation of choosing who lives and who dies among COVID-19 patients, Health Undersecretary Maria Rosario Vergeire said on Friday.
During a virtual forum, Vergeire was asked if she thinks such scenarios experienced in other countries could be expected here too.
"I don't think so. That would never happen. Lahat ng pasyente na dadating sa ospital kahit gaano man kapuno iyan gagawan ng paraan ng gobyerno para sila ay ma-manage natin," she said.
"Kung tayo man ay mapupuno dito sa Metro Manila, nakahanda na ang mga karatig na regions natin to accommodate our patients," she added.
Vergeire said such referrals had been made to Jose B. Lingad Memorial General Hospital in Pampanga and other hospitals outside the capital region.
"Ang gobyerno kahit na wala nang espasyo gagawa at gagawa talaga ng paraan para lahat ng pasyente natin ay mabibigyan ng appropriate care na kailangan nila," she added.
The number of people infected with COVID-19 in the Philippines reached 119,460 on Thursday and 50,473 of which are active cases.
More than half of the active cases are found in Metro Manila which has been placed under modified enhanced community quarantine again until August 18.
As of August 6, 79% of the total 552 ICU beds, 77% of the 3,500 isolation beds, and 86% of the total 1,600 ward beds dedicated for COVID-19 in Metro Manila are occupied, based on data from the Department of Health.
Of the 829 mechanical ventilators in the region, 50% are in use.
The DOH on Thursday launched the One Hospital Command, a system that aims to facilitate seamless referrals of COVID-19 cases in hospitals and isolation facilities.—AOL, GMA News