Palace on 10-person limit on religious gatherings: ‘Hindi ito forever’
Malacañang on Thursday appealed for understanding after the government reimposed the 10-person limit on religious gatherings in areas under general community quarantine (GCQ).
In a televised briefing, presidential spokesperson Harry Roque called for online religious services amid movement restrictions to curb the spread of COVID-19.
“Napatunayan na po na talagang maraming mga kaso ng COVID [na] bigla na lang nagkahawaan dahil po dito sa mga religious worship,” he said. “Pasensya lang po muna. Hindi naman po ito forever.”
Previously, the government allowed religious gatherings up to 10% of a venue’s capacity in GCQ areas.
Manila Auxiliary Bishop Broderick Pabillo earlier said the 10-person limit was illogical, adding the government even allowed business establishments such as restaurants to operate at a higher capacity.
Metro Manila, Cavite, Rizal, Laguna, and Bulacan shifted to GCQ after two weeks of modified enhanced community quarantine or stricter lockdown.
Other areas placed under GCQ were Nueva Ecija, Batangas, Quezon, Iloilo City, Cebu City, Lapu-Lapu City, Mandaue City, Talisay City, and the municipalities of Minglanilla and Consolacion in Cebu province.
The rest of the country will be under modified general community quarantine until August 31. — Virgil Lopez/RSJ, GMA News