Vergeire shakes off Gadon's 'bobo' comment, upholds DOH's science-based policies
Health Undersecretary Maria Rosario Vergeire on Friday maintained that the policies of the Department of Health regarding the COVID-19 pandemic have scientific basis.
This was after lawyer Larry Gadon called the DOH "bobo" and accused it of "scaring" the public with its policies on preventing the transmission of the virus.
"Kami, we hear these kinds of things, we continue with our work. Lahat po ng ipinapatupad at ibinibigay ng DOH sa mga tao is based on science and it's based on evidence," Vergeire said in an online forum.
While noting that the DOH has been at the receiving end of various comments ever since the pandemic started, she appealed to the public not to "mislead" other people as this may cause the further spread of COVID-19.
On Thursday, Gadon talked to the media in an ambush interview with neither a face mask nor a face shield on. He maintained he does not subscribe to wearing the two protective equipment at the same time.
"Ang DOH bobo!" he said.
"Kalabisan na 'yung ano eh... Either naka-face shield ka or naka-face mask ka. Hindi ako naniniwala sa DOH. Sa totoo lang, ang COVID curable, sobrang pananakot ang ginawa sa atin ng DOH," he added.
Earlier this month, Gadon was seen wearing a face shield with a face mask taped to it. Vergeire has already said that the COVID-19 situation is not a joking matter and people should wear mask for their protection.
Joint Task Force COVID Shield commander Police Lieutenant General Guillermo Eleazar warned Gadon on Friday that he would be arrested if he continues to violate rules on wearing face masks.
Aside from face mask, face shield is a must in public transport vehicles, workplaces, and commercial establishments, according to Malacanang.
As of August 27, the Philippines recorded a total of 205,581 COVID-19 cases and 68,357 are still active ones. Recovered patients numbered to 133,990 while the death toll is 3,234.—AOL, GMA News