Palace not open to criticism, content with COVID-19 response –Robredo
Vice President Leni Robredo on Sunday lamented what she described as Malacañang’s aversion to criticism and its self-satisfaction with its response to the coronavirus pandemic.
The Palace had earlier slammed Robredo for offering suggestions and comments on the government’s COVID-19 response in a public address last week.
Robredo had criticized the government for having no clear direction as the country grappled with COVID-19, which Presidential Spokesman Harry Roque said the Palace “seriously disagreed” with.
Duterte likewise said that the vice president should “not add fuel to the fire” by criticizing the government.
“Iyong nakaka-bother dito, halimbawa iyong reaksyon ni Secretary Roque doon sa ating public address, parang kuntento na kasi—alam mo, iyong pamahalaan, parang kuntento na sa ginagawa,” Robredo said in her weekly radio show.
“Mas nakakapag-alala na galit sila kapag sinabihan silang kulang iyong response. At kapag sinabihan mong kulang iyong response, sasabihin nila parang sinisiraan sila. Nakakatakot iyon. Mas mabuti pa na inaamin mong may problema,” she added.
In July, the Palace similarly dismissed Robredo’s suggestions on how to improve the government’s pandemic response, claiming that she offered “nothing new.”
The Vice President stressed that the Palace should be open to criticism as its response affects all Filipinos, especially the poor.
“Ang kinakatakutan natin, dahil sa kahinaan ng response natin lumubog tayo, sama-sama tayo paglubog. Kaya sa akin, dapat sana bukas sila. Dapat sana bukas sila sa suhestiyon,” she said. — DVM, GMA News