Filtered By: Topstories
News

Roque on Cebu event: Lesson learned


Want to see the E22 local results for ? Click location.

Presidential spokesperson Harry Roque on Thursday admitted that he learned from his controversial trip to Cebu last week.

Roque made the statement after Interior and Local Government Undersecretary Jonathan Malaya said on Wednesday that government officials who do not observe minimum health protocols against COVID-19 won’t inspire public compliance.

“Tama po siguro iyan. Lesson learned na po iyan,” Roque said at a news conference in Palawan.

“Noong pumasok po tayo dito sa Palawan, pagpaumanhin ninyo po, I really demanded everyone should observe social distancing.”

Roque came under fire after he attended the opening of the Bantayan Island Airport where people did not practice physical distancing.

He later said he did not expect the “huge turnout of people” even as he reminded them to follow the minimum health standards. The Philippine National Police is now looking into the incident.

In July, Roque's Twitter post of his photo with dolphins in a resort in Subic had drawn criticisms from netizens with some calling it insensitive in the time of pandemic.

Last month, netizens also criticized Roque after a video of him singing without a face mask went viral on social media.

The video made the rounds as the government was grappling with criticism over what some perceived as a slow response to the aftermath of Typhoon Ulysses. — BM, GMA News

Find the latest news

Choose your candidates and print out your selection.

Find out your candidates' profile

Voter Demographics

Find out individual candidate platforms