All guests underwent COVID-19 swab test, Pacquiao says of birthday party in GenSan
Senator Manny Pacquiao on Monday said all his guests during the celebration of his 42nd birthday in General Santos City underwent COVID-19 swab test.
"Wala pa pong 50 people ang nandoon sa loob ng bulwagan at saka may mga swab naman po sila lahat, ni-require ng swab. Hindi po kami nagpabaya," Pacquiao said in an interview on ANC.
General Santos City, Pacquiao's hometown, is under modified general community quarantine.
"PCR po, bawat isa... Kasi nandyan ang anak ko eh, yung maliit, si Israel so kaya kailangan mag-ingat din dahil may bata," Pacquiao said.
The Filipino boxing icon also said the party venue was spacious enough for social distancing as it can hold up to 300 guests.
Pacquiao also said he is confident that his family did not breach any quarantine rule when he held the gathering.
"Maingat po tayong nag-celebrate ng birthday natin," he said.
Pacquiao made this statement after his wife Jinkee posted photos of the event where people were seen standing close to each other, some without face masks on.
Philippine National Police (PNP) chief Police General Debold Sinas said last week that party-goers this Christmas season will be arrested, considering the COVID-19 situation. The country's top cop who was known for the mañanita controversy, made an exception, though, for "dinners."
Last month, some critics also pointed out that social distancing was not observed during Pacquiao's relief distribution in Batangas.
While maintaining that his team did everything to ensure that health safety protocols were strictly observed, Pacquiao welcomed possible investigation into the incident. --KBK, GMA News