The Catholic Bishops' Conference of the Philippines (CBCP) on Thursday said they have not received any report of a superspreader event that was caused by religious gatherings, like masses, amid the COVID-19 pandemic.
"Sa araw-araw na pag-a-update natin, wala naman tayong nababalita. At ire-reiterate ko, 'yung mga nabalitaan lang namin, sa mga kumbento. This is not in any way related with public gatherings," said CBCP Public Affairs Committee Executive Secretary Fr. Jerome Secillano.
(We have not received any report [of a superspreader event] in our day-to-day update. I will reiterate that what we've heard were COVID-19 cases in convents.)
"Hindi po ito 'yung tipong nagmisa kami na may mga tao and then all of a sudden nabalitaan natin na may infected na sa mga nagsimba. So far, thanks be to God, wala naman," Secillano added.
(This is not the kind where we held Masses with people then all of a sudden we heard that the attendees got infected.)
Regarding the Quiapo activities last January, Secillano said CBPC expected that there will be infections, but they observed that "there was no untoward incident regarding the spread of the virus."
There were also no reports of COVID-19 infections during the Simbang Gabi Masses, according to Secillano.
Under the Alert Level 4 system, religious gatherings may be allowed at a limited 10% venue/seating capacity but may accommodate only individuals who are fully vaccinated against COVID-19 in addition to their allowed outdoor capacities.
"Sa aking obserbasyon, kung meron mang institusyon na talagang tumutupad sa mga protocol ay ang Simbahan," Secillano said.
(In my observation, if there is an example of an institution that actually follows the protocols, it is the Church.)
Eight nuns have died due to COVID-19 at the Religious of the Virgin Mary Convent in Quezon City this month.
They were included in the more than 100 nuns and staff that tested positive for the virus. -NB, GMA News