Health Secretary Francisco Duque III said Wednesday that there were no reported adverse events so far since the start of the COVID-19 booster vaccination in the country.
“No serious adverse event following the immunization. These are the usual localized pain or the usual slight fever and I think you’re all familiar with that, you have experienced it yourselves (if you’ve been vaccinated),” Duque said during the arrival of the additional 700,000 doses of AstraZeneca vaccine donated by the Australian government at the Ninoy Aquino International Airport Terminal 3.
Duque, however, noted that the government would still prioritize giving the target population the primary dose series more than the booster shots.
“Our policy continues that we would much rather provide the primary series, the first dose, to the unvaccinated more than the booster because you know, science says it that the protection that the population gets by inoculating everyone rather than doing boosting is going to be much higher and a much more sound policy,” he said.
Health Undersecretary Maria Rosario Vergeire earlier explained that the booster shots are given when immunity is starting to wane after several months since receiving the vaccine while additional doses, or the third doses, are given to individuals who cannot mount the appropriate immunity against the sickness.
As the country eases quarantine restrictions, Duque further reminded the public to avoid the 3Cs: closed spaces, crowded areas, and the closed contact settings.
“If you cannot help it, then wear your face shields. [They] are still very, very important, it’s an additional layer of protection and it will be good for our people,” he said.