A total of 31,238 passengers have been monitored so far in all ports in the country on Monday morning, the last day of the long weekend, the Philippine Coast Guard (PCG) said.
In an update, the PCG said 14,213 outbound passengers and 17,025 inbound passengers were recorded from 12 a.m. to 6 a.m.
The PCG have deployed 2,749 deployed frontline personnel in 15 PCG Districts who inspected 175 vessels and 41 motor bancas to ensure the safety of the trips.
Many passengers have started arriving en masse at the Batangas City port and Manila North Harbor port, according to reports on Dobol B TV.
But even before that, passengers were already observed in Batangas port on Black Saturday and Easter Sunday, according to a report by GMA Regional TV Balitang Southern Tagalog's Paul Hernandez.
Mga pasahero galing ng bakasyon, unti-unti nang nagdaragsaan sa terminal ng General Santos City. | via James Plecis, Super Radyo General Santos pic.twitter.com/z004IW8Tnj— DZBB Super Radyo (@dzbb) April 9, 2023
Philippine Ports Authority general manager Jay Santiago said the situation in ports from Holy Wednesday to Easter Sunday has been good except for the long lines in some areas, according to the report of Super Radyo dzBB's Manny Vargas.
To manage the influx of port passengers during the Holy Week and the Day of Valor, which was moved from April 9 to 10, the PCG placed its districts, stations, and sub-stations on heightened alert.
According to the PCG, the heightened alert will also cover the summer vacation to serve local tourists traveling by sea until May 31.
The public is encouraged to coordinate with the PCG through its official Facebook page or the Coast Guard Public Affairs (0927-560-7729) for their concerns on sea travel protocols and regulations. —Joviland Rita/KBK, GMA Integrated News