Marcos condoles with kin of 5 Filipinos who died in capsized Chinese fishing vessel
President Ferdinand Marcos Jr. on Friday extended his condolences to the families of the Filipino crew members who died after a Chinese fishing vessel capsized in the central Indian Ocean last week.
“Nakikiramay tayo sa mga pamilya ng mga kababayan nating nasawi sa tumaob na fishing vessel sa Indian Ocean noong ika-16 ng Mayo,” Marcos said in a tweet.
(We extend our condolences to the family of our countrymen who died in the fishing vessel mishap in the Indian Ocean on May 16.)
“Nakaantabay ang ating pamahalaan para sila’y alalayan,” he added.
(Our government is ready to assist them.)
The Chinese vessel overturned on May 16, leaving no survivors, based on the results of the initial government probe.
Five Filipinos were among the 39 crew members.
Marcos, meanwhile, thanked the Australian and Chinese search and rescue teams.
“We also extend our gratitude to the Australian and Chinese search and rescue teams for conducting extensive operations in spite of the unforgiving weather,” he said. —Joahna Lei Casilao/ VAL, GMA Integrated News