Two school officials were killed and 30 others, including student athletes, were hurt when their bus drove into a ditch in Magsaysay, Occidental Mindoro on Saturday night.
Police identified the fatalities as Elmer Decillo, the 61-year-old sports director of Rizal University System's Tanay campus; and Jonathan Peñada, 51, the school's Binangonan campus director.
The two fatalities and 42 others, including student athletes and school officials, were on board the Charms Aloha Travel Bus unit with plate number RNJ 324, which drove into a ditch in Sitio Bunga, Barangay Nicolas at around 6:30 p.m.
The victims were on their way to San Jose town to participate in the southern Tagalog Regional Association of State Universities and Colleges Olympics or Strasuc when the accident happened.
Investigators said the bus was tailing a Coaster van (SAA 8392) with 19 other delegates on board, as they headed for San Jose.
An initial report stated that when the convoy reached a steep part of the road in Sitio Bunga, the bus driver noticed that the brakes were not working and decided to veer to the left to avoid hitting the van in front. But he lost control of the bus and accidentally drove it into the canal.
"'Yung isang kalsada, medyo matarik siya. Nawalan ng preno 'yung bus. Mayroong coaster sa unahan niya na gusto niyang iwasan siguro. Pagkabig niya, nahulog siya sa malalim na kanal," Occidental Mindoro Police Provincial Director Senior Superintendent Romie Estepa said in a report by Tricia Zafra on 24 Oras.
Police are looking for the bus driver, Julius Deleno, who left the scene of the accident.
The Land Transportation Franchising and Regulatory Board has placed two of the bus company's units under preventive suspension, while the company owner is cooperating with the police.
"It appears that the bus is out of line. Since the franchise was issued by Region III, therefore the bus should only be operating within Region III," said LTFRB board member Aileen Lizada in the 24 Oras report.
The wounded occupants of the bus were rushed to three hospitals.
Brought to the San Jose District Hospital were:
- Reynica Lapure Pitular, 18 years old, student;
- Jaya Icaonapo Sarausos, 20 years old both residents of Brgy Binangonan;
- Jomico Hann Perpetua, 20 years old, student and a resident of Brgy Morong;
- Kimuel Joshua Sabono San Juan, 25 years old, student and a resident of Brgy Cardona;
- Angelito Bonifacio Fernando, 38 years old, physician, married and a resident of Antipolo City;
- Mary Jane Odiver Ancog, 19 years old, student and a resident of Brgy Rodriguez;
- Ivan Miguel Raquia Cuyong, 20 years old, student, Brgy Binagonan;
- Lovely Jane Cerafica Santiago, 21 years old student, Brgy Binagonan;
- Krystel Nillosca Anore, 23 years old, student, Brgy Binangonan;
- Daisy An Collado Morgado, 19 years old, student, Brgy Binangonan;
- Rosell Portugal Serapica, 20 years old, student, Brgy Binangonan;
- Jacky Quintinita Pascu, 22 years old, Brgy Binagonan;
- Nathan Francis Hernandez Esguerra, 20 years old, San Rafael, Rodriguez;
- Karl Ryel Valerica Valle, 20 years old, student, Binangonan;
- Maria Cristina Lestina, 25 years old, student, Brgy Binagonan all of Rizal province;
- Jake Pagayan Bagon, 22 years old, student of Payatas, Quezon;.
- Joven Loyola Gapas, 20 years old, Antipolo;
- Jerome Espinosa Juanico, 25 years old, student, Angono;
- Marian Castro, 41 years old, nurse, Tanay; and,
- Jomel Alejo Tomas, 39 years old, married, conductor
Brought to the Calapan District Hospital were:
- Mary Ann de Castro
- Maricel Maniaol, 39, of Rodriguez Rizal
The injured passengers brought to Westmin Hospital in San Jose town were:
- Adrian Pascual Maniaol, Sports Coordinator, 40 years old, married, Brgy Rodriguez;
- Renato Francisco De Lemon, Budget Officer, 55 years old;
- Mariano Cavanza Tulod, 24 years old, student, Cardona; and,
- Julieann Pareja Castro, 19 years old, student of Tayuman, all of Rizal province
—LBG/ALG, GMA News