The head of Bulacan police on Thursday said witnesses have come forward to belie the allegation of a pregnant woman that she was raped by four policemen during an anti-drug operation in Meycauayan last week.
Interviewed on Super Radyo dzBB, Senior Superintendent Romeo Caramat said the witnesses were barangay officials and a Department of Justice (DOJ) representative who were part of the operation.
"Kinukuha na namin 'yung affidavit nila dito na pinapatunayan na walang nangyaring rape dahil pagkatapos ng drug operations ay sabay-sabay po silang nagpunta doon sa police station," he said.
Of the four policemen, three — Police Officer 2 Jefferson Landrito, P01 Marlo delos Santos, and PO1 Jeremy Aquino — have been identified and are now under restrictive custody pending the results of the investigation.
Caramat said no complaints have been filed against the three as the supposed victim has yet to give a formal statement to the investigators and has refused to undergo medico-legal examination, which he said is part of standard operating procedure in rape cases.
"Hindi natin alam ang kadahilanan, hindi niya po itinuloy 'yung pagbibigay ng statement sa ating imbestigador at hanggang ngayong kino-contact namin at marami na po siyang alibi na hindi siya po makakapunta," Caramat said.
"So technically, wala pong naisampang kaso doon sa mga kapulisan natin."
Caramat said he is contemplating reinstating the three policemen pending the filing of a formal complaint.
"Wala pang complaint against sa tatlong pulis natin na administratively relieved, so kung wala po ay I am contemplating na ibalik sila doon sa Meycauayan police," he said.
The 29-year-old victim identified only as Dolores said she was collecting payment for "5-6" loans inside a house in Barangay Bangkal when the policemen barged in.
Four policemen allegedly took turns in raping her. She said she did not fight back after one of the policemen threatened to rape her daughter, who was with her that time.
Caramat, meanwhile, said that upon initial investigation, they discovered that the victim had a previous case of illegal possession of drugs in 2015.
Asked to comment on the matter, Philippine National Police spokesperson Chief Superintendent John Bulalacao said they do not condone any wrongdoings of errant cops.
"The PNP does not condone wrongdoings of rogue police personnel. Appropriate criminal and administrative charges shall be filed againts those involved as warranted by evidence or testimonies. Nonetheless due process will be observed," he said.
"We appeal to the public to report erring cops as we continue our efforts in cleansing our ranks. Those who will be found guilty shall be punished and dismissed," he added. —KBK, GMA News