The League of Provinces in the Philippines on Tuesday defended the decision of some local officials to impose another round of quarantine upon repatriates who had already completed the mandatory isolation period in Metro Manila.
According to JP Soriano's report on "24 Oras", LPP president Marinduque Governor Presbitero Velasco said the additional days of quarantine are an extra precaution to protect the COVID-free status of some provinces.
Many of the repatriates have tested negative for the COVID-19 virus using the PCR method.
“Galing po sila sa labas at nagsisiguro lang po kami lalo po kami sa mga probinsya na general community quarantine na po. E' natatakot din po, may agam-agam din dahil baka mayroon pong carrier pa rin… So doble lang po ang ingat,” Velasco said.
The Department of the Interior and Local Government said it was up to local officials if they would require repatriates to undergo quarantine anew upon arrival in their home provinces.
“Pagdating sa LGU, kung gusto pa nilang i-quarantine, kung gusto pa nilang i-test, nasa kanila na ‘yan. We do not actually forbid them to do that. Ang sinasabi lang natin, safe na ‘yan, puwede na ‘yang umuwi sa bahay,” Interior Secretary Eduardo Año said.
Malacañang likewise said it would respect the decision of local governments.
Overseas Workers Welfare Administrator Hans Leo Cacdac, meanwhile, said repatriates who have already tested negative for COVID-19 should be given the option to undergo home quarantine.
“Huwag na po tayong kabahan o payagan na manaig ang takot kasi sila po ay COVID-free na,” he said. -Julia Mari Ornedo/NB, GMA News