16,000 LSIs stranded in Cebu City appeal for help
Around 16,000 locally stranded individuals (LSIs) staying in Cebu City since the lockdown due to the COVID-19 threat appealed to the city government for help.
A number of them had no choice but stay in the pier since boat trips to their home provinces have been canceled, according to a report by GMA Regional TV Live's Nikko Sereno on Unang Balita on Tuesday.
Some of them have been at the pier for more than a month already.
The LSIs said they have run out of money. They asked that personnel of the City Mayor's Office visit them to see for themselves their situation.
Although the Cebu Ports Authority and the Cebu City government has been giving them whatever assistance they could, the LSIs asked the Cebu City local government for more help.
The city government however could no longer afford to give more since funds have been allocated for other benefiaries, city officials said.
Cebu City Councilor Joel Garganera earlier said that due to the modified enhanced community quarantine, travel of LSIs has been affected.
"It is not us that want to prevent you from leaving. 'Yung respective LGU ninyo, ayaw din tumanggap sa inyo because 'yung safety ng tao, ang health, 'yun ang tinutukan nila," said Garganera.
Last week, the Regional Inter-Agency Task Force passed a resolution requesting the National Inter-Agency Task Force for the Management of Emerging Infectious Diseases (IATF-EID) to exempt the LSIs in Cebu City from the travel ban and allow them to go home to their provinces.
As of Monday, the number of COVID-19 cases in Cebu City reached 8,155 after 85 new cases were reported. The active cases were more than 3,200. Recoveries were at least 4,400. —KG, GMA News