Filtered By: Topstories
News

Calapan City returns to MECQ after 42 police trainees test positive for COVID-19


Want to see the E22 local results for ? Click location.

Calapan City in Oriental Mindoro has shifted back to a modified enhanced community quarantine (MECQ) after 42 police trainees undergoing field training tested positive for COVID-19, Mayor Arnan Panaligan announced on Tuesday.

In a statement, Panaligan said the trainees underwent PCR testing at the Philippine Red Cross molecular laboratory in Batangas City.

The 42 are the latest additions to the five police trainees and one police officer in the city who previously acquired COVID-19.

The patients are now isolated at the City Treatment and Isolation Facility at the City Hall Complex.

Panaligan said that the confirmed COVID-19 positive cases are confined to only one group of police trainees who were already placed in quarantine on August 4.

"Dahil dito, ating hiniling sa Regional IATF sa pamamagitan ng Tanggapan ng Punong Lalawigan Humerlito Dolor na pansamantalang ilagay ang Calapan City sa MODIFIED ENHANCED COMMUNITY QUARANTINE STATUS ( MECQ) sa loob ng 14 araw simula sa Agosto 13, Hwebes. Ang isang araw na palugit simula ngayon ay pagkakataon na ibinigay upang makapaghanda ang mga tao," Panaligan said.

The mayor added that the MECQ i needed to conduct contact tracing.

"Tandaan natin na ang 42 police trainees na yan ay nag-duty sa kabayanan bago sila ma-quarantine noong August 4," Panaligan said.

"Kung magiging maayos ang resulta ng contact tracing at hindi na madadagdagan pa na marami ang bilang ng mga Covid-19 cases, maaaring paiksiin ang 14 day MECQ," he added.

Public safety measures will be implemented in Calapan City starting August 13, including the schedule of market days; the use of quarantine passes; the prohibition of mass gatherings, meetings, events, assemblies and sports activities; and the closure of public and private offices and establishments prohibited under MECQ.

"ANG LAHAT AY PINAG-IINGAT SUBALIT IWASAN ANG PANIC. IWASAN DIN ANG PAGPAPAKALAT NG MGA MALI O HINDI KUMPIRMADONG BALITA. MAG-ANTABAY SA MGA SUSUNOD NA PAHAYAG AT INSTRUCTIONS," Panaligan advised.

President Rodrigo Duterte placed Metro Manila and other high-risk areas back under an MECQ from August 4 to 18 after medical workers pleaded for a time out. — Jamil Santos/BM, GMA News

Find the latest news

Choose your candidates and print out your selection.

Find out your candidates' profile

Voter Demographics

Find out individual candidate platforms