Personnel of the Bureau of Fire Protection and the Mandaue City Disaster Risk Reduction and Management Office (DRRMO) responded to a gas leak alarm in Barangay Tipolo at past 11 p.m. on April 23, 2024. 

Residents of Barangay Tipolo living in the vicinity of the affected establishment reported of the foul and sickening smell. 

Mandaue City Mayor Jonas Cortes also went with the resonding personnel to inspect the area himself.

Felix Suico Jr., operations chief of the Mandaue City DRRMO, confirmed that the nauseating fumes were caused by ammonia gas that leaked from a storage tank.  

Authorities went around Barangay Tipolo, in a “recorida” (announcement done aboard a vehicle with loudspeaker) to disseminate information on the incident. 

Residents were directed to stay inside their houses while authorities were putting the situation under control through a hazardous materials (hazmat) operation.

Suico said that ammonia gas is used in the operation of the establishment’s plant and products.  

Residents are urged to report any further signs of a gas leak to ensure public safety and wellbeing.