The houses destroyed in a fire that struck Barangay Benedicto, Jaro, Iloilo City reached 90, while at least 113 families have been displaced.

The fire broke out on February 16, 2026.

Of the 90 houses, 86 were reported to be totally gutted.

GMA Regional TV One Western Visayas chanced upon a family gathering coins from the ashes of what used to be their house.

Edgar Agillon, the patriarch of the family, saved the money in a coin bank in about three years. The coins would have amounted P10,000, he said. 

The amount may be small but would be of help to pay off expenses, he added.

“Panggastos sa bahay. Sa mga kuryente, bigas. Wala tayong magagawa,” Edgar said.

Other fire victims have not saved a thing either.

“Tumakbo pa ako kasi hindi ako makadaan, nandito na kasi ang apoy. Niligtas ko na lang ang sarili ko,” said Edwin Reno, another fire victim.

As of this writing, displaced families sought temporary shelter at the evacuation center.

One of the victims admitted that the fire started at the second floor of their house.

“Sa pag-spark, may babae (katulong) pa ditong naiwan na magligpit dito. Sa ilalim, nakarinig raw siya ng spark pero hindi niya pinansin,” Frederico Gonzales, owner of the said house, said.

Damage reached P700,000 based on assessment done by the Bureau of Fire Protection (BFP).

Fire investigation rendered that a faulty electrical line caused possibly the fire.

A total of 24 fire incidents was recorded since January 1, 2026 in Iloilo City, according to BFP records.

“Mas kaunti ang last year. Ang kuryente ng ating bahay, i-check from time to time at kung may sira, seek assistance sa licensed electrician,” said SFO1 Denmark Macoco, chief of the Intelligence and Investigation Unit of BFP Iloilo City.

Meanwhile, while the fire was ongoing, a man was caught on video stealing belongings saved by fire victims.

The looter was seen in the video ganged up by residents.

It was learned that the man is from La Paz District. However, he was not taken into police custody after he and the complainants reached an amicable settlement.

“Kita naman natin na halos nakaganti na ang mga residente. Part naman ng alleged na kawatan, wala siyang planong magsampa ng reklamo laban sa mga nanuntok sa kanya,” Major Shella Mae Sangrines, spokesperson of the Iloilo City Police Office, said.