Shellfish vendors and consumers in Pangasinan welcomed fresh relief after authorities lifted the red tide ban in the coastal waters of Anda and Bolinao, clearing the way for harvesting and selling shellfish again.
The Bureau of Fisheries and Aquatic Resources in Region 1 announced late Thursday that the red tide advisory in the two towns had been removed following weeks of testing.
“After a month of thorough monitoring and testing, the red tide ban on Anda and Bolinao was lifted late afternoon yesterday. It is now safe to gather and trade shellfish from these areas,” BFAR-1 Regional Director Girly Dela Peña said.
In Dagupan City, vendors said the earlier red tide warning had dampened sales as buyers grew wary of consuming shellfish.
“Medyo mahina po siya kasi ’yung mga sinasabi na red tide, ’yung mga namimili, natatakot din na bumili,” Hilda Solano, an oyster vendor, said.
She said business has started to recover after the advisory was lifted.
“Nagpapasalamat kami dahil ang red tide naalis na kaya ang talaba ngayon, mabili na siya,” she said.
BFAR said consecutive laboratory tests showed that shellfish samples collected from the coastal waters of Anda and Bolinao were already negative for red tide toxins, making all types of shellfish and even alamang safe for consumption.
The lifting of the ban allows the resumption of harvesting, trading and serving shellfish products, benefiting not only vendors but also small eateries.
“Good news. Ngayon dahil wala nang red tide, pwede na akong magluto ulit ng shellfish,” Ma. Luz Zamora, a consumer, said.
BFAR said it will continue strict monitoring and testing in coordination with local governments to ensure public safety and maintain the quality of seafood products in the province.
