This is a developing story. Refresh for updates.
Two people were confirmed dead in a shooting incident at a private school in Barangay Tumaga, Zamboanga City on Tuesday, August 18, 2026.
In a statement, the Ateneo de Zamboanga University (ADZU) confirmed that two people were killed in the shooting incident on its Junior High School campus and said it is coordinating with authorities for a full report and further details surrounding the incident.
"As of now, we confirm that there are 2 fatalities. As for other information, we are coordinating with authorities for the full report with full details to be provided as soon as possible," ADZU said.
According to Police Regional Office-9 spokesperson Major Shellamie Chang, authorities are still confirming whether the suspect is among the fatalities.
Classes at the school have been suspended as authorities investigate the incident.
"The safety of our students is our top priority," ADZU added.
In a post on its Facebook page, the Ateneo de Zamboanga University Junior High School said the situation has been placed under control.
"The situation is now under control. We kindly ask parents and guardians to wait for the designated pick-up time before proceeding to the FANCC to fetch your children.
"Thank you for your patience, cooperation, and understanding."
ADZU also urged the public to refrain from sharing unverified information, photos, and videos, warning that these could further harm those involved and potentially hinder the ongoing investigation.
"We have set up official communication channels and will relay these information to the public as soon as possible," ADZU said.
The university also asked the public to respect the privacy of all individuals affected.
The shooting in Zamboanga City came almost two months after the deadly school shooting at a high school in Tacloban City in June 2026. Three killed and several others were wounded in that shooting carried out by two minor students.
Since then, security threats have been made against schools across the country, including those in Mindanao.
It can be recalled that security measures were beefed up after online shooting threats targeting schools in Cagayan de Oro City, Davao City, and General Santos City were reported. Authorities have warned that those responsible for the online threats will be tracked down, even if they use dummy accounts.
