The Bangsamoro Autonomous Region in Muslim Mindanao (BARMM) has been placed under a state of calamity due to the combined effects of the global oil crisis and the extreme heat caused by the El Niño-Southern Oscillation (ENSO).
Bangsamoro Chief Minister Abdulraof Macacua declared a state of calamity to address worsening socioeconomic disruptions caused by high prices of petroleum products and extreme weather conditions linked to El Niño.
“El Niño-Southern Oscillation (ENSO)-neutral conditions prevailing over the Tropical Pacific have triggered an El Niño Alert since April 22, 2026, with climate models projecting the phenomenon to continue until early 2027,” the proclamation reads.
According to a report by GMA News Online, the Philippines remains under El Niño–Southern Oscillation (ENSO)-neutral conditions—meaning neither El Niño nor La Niña is currently affecting the climate.
However, state weather bureau PAGASA said the likelihood of an El Niño developing as early as June is increasing.
The Ministry of Agriculture, Fisheries, and Agrarian Reform (MAFAR) said ENSO has already affected around 800 rice and corn farmers in Maguindanao del Sur and Maguindanao del Norte.
Based on data, about 851 hectares of farmland across 36 towns and 167 barangays were damaged, as of April 24, 2026, including 537 hectares of rice fields and 314 hectares of corn fields.
Authorities added that the dry spell also caused losses of around 1,500 metric tons of rice and corn.
The proclamation also highlighted the growing burden caused by the global oil crisis.
The Bangsamoro Oil Crisis Impact Task Force (BOCITF) was created earlier in March after fuel prices went up, which disrupted transportation, food supply chains, and essential services across the region.
According to the proclamation, the combined impacts of ENSO and rising fuel prices have disrupted food security, transportation, livelihoods, and the overall welfare of the Bangsamoro people.
The declaration took effect on May 14, 2026, and will remain in force until lifted.
With this, Macacua called for urgent action from local government units and the private sector, including the facilitation of international humanitarian assistance, to help mitigate the crises.
“The Bangsamoro Government and local government units may immediately access calamity and emergency funds for rescue, relief, recovery, and rehabilitation efforts, including the delivery of essential services to affected communities,” he said.
“All concerned ministries, offices, and agencies of the Bangsamoro Government are hereby directed to continuously undertake urgent and critical disaster response to save lives, reduce adverse impacts, ensure public safety, and meet the basic subsistence needs of the Bangsamoro people,” he added.
