LGUs confirm participation in bioenergy tilt
Officials of several provinces were among the early registrants to the upcoming first Philippine International BioEnergy Conference.
The conference, to be held on January 12 to 13, 2012 at the Manila Hotel, will have the theme, Green Investments: Providing Solutions towards Energy Sustainability.
An initial list of provinces to be represented by their governors and officials includes:
- Surigao del Norte
- Goa, Camarines Sur
- Looc, Romblon
- President Quirino, Sultan Kudarat
- Puerto Galera
Organizers said the conference presents a "landmark opportunity" to bioenergy market players to network with existing and potential biofuels and biomass industry players in the Philippines.
It is jointly organized by the Department of Agriculture through the Philippine Agricultural Development and Commercial Corporation; the Department of Agrarian Reform; the Department of Environment and Natural Resources; and the National Biofuels Board.
The conference aims to:
- gather data and information on lessons learned and best practices on biofuels and biomass production, utilization, sustainability and other economic issues
- identify the opportunities and challenges for major feedstocks and sources of biofuels and biomass production and move towards the appropriate business discussion
- secure valuable information on the critical aspects of the Philippine bioenergy industry such as but not limited to integrated technologies, land availability and utilization, and financing
- move towards investments in the bioenergy industry in the Philippines
- forge mutually beneficial business relationships.
The Department of the Interior and Local Government endorsed the conference to local government chief executives including provincial governors, city and municipal mayors; and DILG officials.
Meanwhile, the deadline of confirmation of participants is extended until December 15. — TJD, GMA News